Also I have some of my favorite foods in the house: red bell peppers, mushrooms, lima beans, black beans, wild tuna, wild salmon, shrimp, black forest ham, among more listed below.
Here are a few tips to cleanse the palate and stop those dessert cravings:
- Add lemon or lime to your meal. I love EVOO and lemon juice as my salad dressing. You could squeeze a lemon into your water or tea. I also like lime juice and sea salt over crushed ice and let it melt in my mouth so I don't hurt my teeth by eating the ice.
- Eat a sprig of parsley or cilantro at the end of your meal. Even if you don't swallow the leaves, the flavor alone helps. Add both to your salads, your V-8 juice, your fish.
- I find mint green tea very refreshing.
- Don't forget horseradish for your sandwiches (made with romaine leaves instead of bread, of course). I also like olive salad, or you can just use green olives or marinated artichoke hearts in your salads and sandwiches. These pungent foods are a boon.
- If you love black olives like I do, eat them for a snack. Very filling.
- Fix a bowl of guacamole and eat it when you feel your resolve waning.
- Nuts! Also don't forget sunflower seeds.
- Even sliced avocados amid sliced tomatoes and drizzled with EVOO will distract your mind and body.
Here's to improving our health.
Denise Barker, author + blogger + copy editor