Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Margie Lawson's Writing Body Language and Dialogue Cues Like a Psychologist

Long ago I bought the class notes ($22) bearing the title as noted above from Margie's website at http://www.margielawson.com/. Today I finally read the whole of it (all 164 pages). I really thought I had done this once before and therefore designated today, this morning only, for a review of what I had underlined therein.  But I was wrong. I had previously gotten as far as Lesson 2.

And, yes, as Margie states, taking one of her classes is akin to a college course. Thankfully my mind was in prime gear today, and I could handle all ten lectures prefaced by the welcome intro and finished off by a wrap-up session in the same day.

This class was highly informative, as usual. Being an author, I needed to expand my body language repertoire. Even as a freelance copy editor, I see too many nods, raised eyebrows, glares/stares/gazes and sighs going on, maybe two in a row just a return apart. Sometimes one can be deleted without notice or replacement. But others need a substitute body language response, so this will help me in that endeavor.

I've got "repetition" radar like Margie has cliché detection.

I really enjoyed her lie-detector sections and her two quizzes in this offering. There is also a quick review of some rhetorical devices more fully covered in her class notes for Deep Editing: The EDITS System, Rhetorical Devices and More, which I recommend first. Then take her Empowering Characters' Emotions followed by this class.

You will need to set aside vacation time to get through the EDITS one. Be forewarned. Some of her class notes are three hundred pages long, and each page may stump you, requiring a reread with the music off and the door to your home office closed in order to assimilate her teachings.

But once her messages pass your brain barrier, you will see your work and others' on another level or fifteen.

I just now ordered the class notes for Digging Deep into the EDITS System and look forward to getting into that one.

If you need help more on an inspirational level, check out her class notes entitled Defeat Self-Defeating Behaviors. Also check out FLYLady.net for insight into getting things done, fifteen minutes at a time on a daily basis.

The last offering within Margie's class notes' section is Powering Up Body Language in Real Life. I haven't taken this one, but I'm sure it would be great.

For those of you on a budget, the class notes are inexpensive and can sit in your in-bin until you are ready to go back to school. While you are visiting her website, you can sign up for her weekly newsletter and check out her in-person classes.

Enjoy!

Denise Barker, author + blogger + copy editor

No comments:

Post a Comment