Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Bestseller Lists Can Be Skewed--Plus Definitions for "Fiction" and "Nonfiction"

We have probably all heard the rumors about publishers buying spots on a bestseller list for their particular author, promotion-style.  I have no idea if that is true.  But being an imaginative author, I could use that in a future book.

Within Amazon, I have seen novels categorized as nonfiction, earning a bestseller ranking.  That is easily discerned by a simple survey, comparing the offering described to the bestseller category.  In my mind, fiction should be categorized under fiction.  Nonfiction under nonfiction.

Sorry, as an author, I'd rather have a pure and true ranking, even if I fail to reach bestseller status.  Yes, to be ranked that high would be a wonderful tally of votes from my readers and I look forward to that.  But I'm not ready to lie to get there faster.

Another one of my idiosyncrasies.

Maybe the problem is not overtly choosing to take a shortcut as it is simply akin to the lack of basic grammar knowledge, which I have addressed in multiple earlier postings.  But I hold authors to a higher standard when it comes to that and spelling and simple definitions.  So I cannot fathom that an author does not know the difference between "fiction" and "nonfiction."  Still, for the record, I will define them here.

"Fiction" means made-up within the confines of our imagination, a fictitious account, a novel, a story someone creates.  Examples:  includes genres of romance, sci-fi, fantasy, thrillers, mysteries, satire, comedy, tragedy, plus young adult, children's, etc.

And "nonfiction" means a conglomeration of facts--like for a textbook, a cookbook, a How-To guide, etc.  Nonfiction is not created, it is recorded.  Nonfiction is not imagined.  Examples:  demographic compilations, the census findings, encyclopedias, how-to manuals, biographies, etc.

The majority of you known and unknown readers of my blog can ignore this posting.  I'm preaching to the choir.  For the others, I obviously cannot change them.  They must change themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment