Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Good Ole Boys Now at Smashwords

Good Ole Boys is my debut novel--a love story with suspense elements--already available through Amazon and B&N.  I just spent a couple hours earlier today uploading it to Smashwords and thought I'd share my insights.

Here's the not-yet-Bitly link:  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/168444.
  1. First and foremost, read the Smashwords Style Guide:  How to Format Your Ebook.  It's free and can be found at smashwords.com.
  2. You'll need to set up your Smashwords profile info.
  3. Choose an ISBN option--I went with the Smashwords freebie offer.  NOTE:  I had to do this again as I uploaded my next e-book.
  4. Don't forget to fill in your payee instructions.  I prefer a PayPal deposit to Smashwords dropping a check in the mail.  Just FYI.
  5. If you are using MSWord 2010 (with the .docx extensions), as of this writing, I would suggest you change your document to Compatibility mode (to get the .doc version).
  6. Smashwords is serious about Step 7a--NO spacing before or after paragraphs.  Format your Paragraphs as block style (for nonfiction) or first-line indent (up to 0.5") for fiction.  See location 825 of 1815 of the Smashwords Style Guide:  How to Format Your Ebook.
  7. IMO, you should select all distribution modes while in the upload stage.  After your ebook has been accepted without formatting errors, it is now being considered for inclusion in its premium catalog--which gives you free promo.  I like that.
  8. Then, go to your Dashboard and on the left-hand sidebar, choose Channel Manager.  Here is where you can deselect (opt-out of) B&N and Amazon if you have already uploaded manually at each online store and don't want to incur the extra Smashwords fees coming out of the standard royalty payment schedule for each.  P.S.  I uploaded a second e-book of mine and had to go through the opt-out process FOR EACH BOOK.  Just so you know.
That is what I did.  And will continue to do.

Good luck with your Smashwords uploads, y'all!

Denise Barker, author + freelance copy editor + blogger
Good Ole Boys, a love story at http://amzn.to/GoodOleBoys

No comments:

Post a Comment