Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Friday, July 27, 2012

Accountability

My newest CP group is strictly romance--my main genre among the labels most often used to identify books and group them within a physical bookstore.

But this practice integrated in that CP group works no matter what kind of book you write, even nonfiction.

It is called accountability.

Basically, we share our writing To Do list with each other via e-mail daily. In theory, we end our day showing what is done and not done. While I may not consistently share my results recap with them, I know in my heart and my mind where I fell short, where I excelled. That is what is important.

I propose that this would work if you just send e-mails to yourself. Try it and see.

This simple tool astounds me. If you choose wisely--items that most deeply affect your biggest goals--you will be amazed at how much more you get done.

Shortly after implementing this eye-opener, I saw where I was asking too much from each day. Life gets in the way, my projects inevitably take longer, perfectionism kicks in, maybe a little procrastination too.

Plus you need to listen to your body. After the Aurora event, my mind was too polluted and distracted to be effectively applied to my future goals. It shut down. And I personally knew none of the victims yet was moved in a profound way.

In the Bible, God allowed his people to mourn the passing of Moses for thirty days (Deut. 34:8). Give yourself time.

My daily routine seeks to encourage mind, soul and body health which can only help me in reaching my goals. Like eating well, sleeping fully, being inspired.

So, if you just put two key items on your daily action list, think what you could accomplish in a week, a month, a year.

I maintain even fifteen minutes well spent will yield maximum results when repeatedly acted upon.

Can you spare a quarter of an hour for each square on a calendar to make your life better, more aligned with your dreams?

What if you carved out three-quarters of one single sixty-minute period in your daily allotment of time?

One for health (fifteen minutes of weight lifting or a walk or yoga).

One for organizing your residence (start with your home office and declutter--think about how you can transform your own place into that of a five-star hotel, with no guilt-inducing reminders of things to be done and a streamlined proficiency of function).

One for baby steps toward your highest, biggest, maybe scariest goal. I find whatever fear (doubt, worry, anxiety) is trying to hinder me will actually dissipate once I step closer, take action, no matter how small.

The consistent and persistent practice of doing something EACH DAY is magical--like compound interest.

This is what The Daffodil Principle teaches (my previous post), what FLYlady teaches (FLYlady.net), what Margie Lawson teaches (MargieLawson.com) and what John Assaraf spoke of in a short video on procrastination (see his link in my post of http://livingthedreampublishing.blogspot.com/2012/07/great-two-and-half-minute-video-re.html).

Experiment with accountability in your life and watch for the results.

Denise Barker, author + blogger +
Freelance Copy Editor, http://bit.ly/freelanceCE
Good Ole Boys, a love story at http://amzn.to/GoodOleBoys
http://bit.ly/DownSouthaShortStory

No comments:

Post a Comment