Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Saturday, March 23, 2013

More on TBSS

I really like that there is a two-week intro phase before starting the actual plan of The Blood Sugar Solution. It's brilliant because we are allowed to digress and yet not label it "failing."

And for some reason, this time, this book, this plan, is kind of merging all the great parts from other plans I've read of, if not tried, over the years since my hysterectomy-related weight gain.

Like for instance, this one line from somewhere among Suzanne Somers's books about her Somersize program that, if you want to eat French fries, eat the best ones you can get along with a great big salad so the fiber counteracts the sugar. Good advice.

And from Marilu Henner's Total Health Makeover where she focuses on the whole package and our emotions and other areas of life which can affect our health. This is mindfulness on a bigger scale, like Dr. Hyman teaches in his TBSS books about changing the world, one forkful at a time.

Even my best friend's mother back in my school-going years would stop between each bite to lay down her fork. She was probably practicing the thirty-chews-per-bite philosophy too. We really should take time to enjoy our meals, the food and the company.

From the book Why French Women Don't Get Fat, I gleaned that, yes, I can have what I want just in more Euro-sized portions. (Although this is more for after I complete TBSS's plan.) Plus I understand their foodstuffs meet higher quality standards abroad than ours do. Probably all more organic.

Not to mention the sensitivity diet proposed by J. J. Virgin. Having gone through her twenty-eight-day elimination diet helps me journey through Dr. Hyman's TBSS.

Other changes I've implemented are that I started exercising yesterday and wearing my pedometer again. I see a recipe elsewhere that entices me, and I automatically start exchanging ingredients to conform with TBSS planha!

While I am enjoying my ginger tea daily, I must admit the honey I am adding to it has stalled the downward movement on my scale. Since technically the sweetener comes after the six-week main plan, I'm trying something new today. I'm brewing blackberry-pomegranate green tea to add to my ginger tea, to see if the fruity flavors give me the balance of sweet and spicy hot I prefer.

Sugar is my last frontier.

But I'm invested in this and having already given two weeks and three days to see it work, I'm willing to do my part. I've already seen a nice weight loss during the transition into the main event, my nighttime sinusitis is almost gone, I have more energy, and I'm sleeping less and eating less. Although with the advent of exercise, I may eat more at the start, to level off once my body gets over the shock.

My grocery bill has gone down a bit as well since I'm buying less meat.

Overall, I'd say this is a success even right now, today. Dr. Hyman talks of great changes going on in our bodies aside from any weight loss seen on the scale. My experience confirms that in my own layman's outlook.

And once my body has reset my sweet tooth, I can look forward to adding in rice and honey to my lifelong eating plan.

Works for me. Hope something from these posts helps others out there too.

Denise Barker, author + blogger + copy editor

No comments:

Post a Comment