Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Monday, March 11, 2013

The Blood Sugar Solution: Snacks

I'm just starting this journey so I may deviate at some later point. But for now, my snacks are simple. First, there is this wonderful guacamole recipe with cumin in TBSS Cookbook that I eat as both a meal, with beans, or as a snack. Second, nuts. Did you know sunflower seeds have Vitamin D in them? I love them anyway, but what a bonus to get some Vit. D thrown in, too. I eat about four tablespoons of my own mix: sunflower seeds, almonds and pepitas (pumpkin seeds). Third, popcorn. I pop mine in coconut oil as it can withstand higher temps than EVOO.

Now I just read the Dinner Diva's post today (SavingDinner.com) about lectins in popcorn. So I'm on the fence. While popcorn is not mentioned in either of TBSS books, it is shown and mentioned in the online video of Dr. Hyman's pantry.

And popcorn raises the sensitivity issues that J. J. Virgin would question.

So for these iffy matters, I say: Listen to your body. Watch for reactions. If you get bloating, stop. If you get stuffy noses, stop. If you get weight gain, stop. If you get binge eating, stop.

A final note to others like me on a quest for perfect health (or near perfect). I find that the added fiber gives my stomach an unpleasant sensation at first, but that my body is adjusting to the increased fiber. Just try to differentiate that from true stomach upsets.

And the journaling that Dr. Hyman suggests is a wonderful way to make those food-body connections. Just focusing on how we are emotionally and what we tend to eat is a revelation.

It's a process. It's a discovery. We're all different. I'll share as I go along.



Denise Barker, author + blogger + copy editor

No comments:

Post a Comment