Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ginger Root Tea Is My New Best Friend

I had a summer cold (an oxymoron for sure) and with just one cup of ginger tea, I was on the mend.  If I had taken the time to brew it again, I may have kicked it before the week was up.  You know the old saying:  the cold will be gone in one week if you take XYZ medication, or it will be gone in one week if you do nothing.

So here's my modified recipe.  It's like the hot toddy, only without the rum.  Peel a one-inch segment of the ginger root, then grate it into your water to boil in a pot.  Once it begins to bubble, turn off heat, put a lid on the pan and set your timer for ten minutes.  One online recipe said to strain the ginger root out of the tea, but I like it left in.  I'm of the pulp camp.  Also, it's just gotta be that much better for you, right?  Add some honey and lemon juice.  The honey has medicinal properties all on its own (besides being the only food that never spoils) plus the lemon juice (like vinegar) may have fever-reducing benefits.

And . . . it tastes wonderful.  Today I am enjoying the overcast weather in the Dallas Metroplex that promises rain.  I can smell it coming.  For an area that has been through a severe drought over the last couple (or more) months, rain is a good thing.  A very good thing.  Have a great week, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment