Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Writing Books I Want to Read

Long ago, and for several years, I had budgeted $30 a month to take online writing classes.  Since that monetary restriction forbids me from taking the more expensive offerings, and I have already participated in many of interest, I am now opting to replace it with a purchase of a book on my craft.

Or to study those unread treasures I already have in my personal library.

I have at least four How-To-Write books I have yet to read--a couple I started so long ago that I've forgotten what I was supposed to have learned.  Therefore, I'll start over at the beginning.  Here's my initial selection for my reading list relative to my writing career:

1.  Sol Stein's Stein on Writing A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques and Strategies (this one is loaned to me and I really need to be getting it back to its rightful owner).

2.  Linda N. Edelstein, Ph.D.'s The Writer's Guide to Character TraitsIncludes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types.  This particular book may not be one of those things you read from beginning to end, but more of a reference material to consult as we authors deem who is worthy to be our villain, or our hero.  I'll get back with you on that.

3.  Donald Maass's Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook.  I read somewhere that the workbook is good solo, without the need for the companion book.

4.  Brandilyn Collins's Getting Into CharacterSeven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn from Actors.

I cannot yet recommend any of the above personally as I still need to read them.  But they were all deemed worthy in articles or newsletters or blogs or other books or by one of my CPs.

As I actually finish reading them, I'll share some highlights from my notes with you.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment