Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Put Your Goals Where You Can See Them

If you want to produce speckled yet strong sheep, cull through them first, then set black and white reeds before their watering (and mating) trough. See Gen. 30:2543. This "in your face" technique works for people and their goals, too. See Deut. 27:8, but I especially like Habakkuk 2:2 where (paraphrased) it states to write the vision/goal plainly so that anyone can understand.

For a personal example, I love using Yahoo! Calendar for daily reminders, some more affirmations than To Do list entries. But one recent item (within the last two to three weeks) related to spring cleaning three rooms of my home. Guess what? I've done 1.5 of them. Not bad for someone who had no intention whatsoever to get to these rooms until next year at best. Hence the use of the calendar, so I don't have to remember this particular whimsy twelve months later on my own.

And let me repeat that these reminders are daily. So I tend to skim over them following that initial appearance. Even so, it is working. It is not only reaching my conscious and my subconscious, but actually prodding me to get up and do something singularly related to this designated chore. Wow.

So I'm trying another visual aid. I have two exercise DVDs on my desktop to remind me to exercise, which hasn't been working one iota, long since before the new year started. But I admit, they were hidden under bookmarks, a handheld calculator and my cell phone.

But not anymore. Now you can clearly see each like the turned-out books in a Barnes & Noble store.

This time, I'm counting the days to see when the effect from the cause first arrives.

I'll let you know.


Denise Barker, author + blogger + copy editor
http://bit.ly/KOBODeniseBarkerEBooks

No comments:

Post a Comment