Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Monday, July 7, 2014

Sugar in My Salt? I Mean, Really?

I do read labels, for the most part. I like to stay as healthy as I can, whether my freelance earnings are nil or nice. But salt? Do I have to read salt labels?

Guess I do.

Little did I know that salt wasn't all my salt contained.

Here are the Ingredients, straight from its own label:
Salt
Calcium Silicate
Dextrose
Potassium Iodide
And is there any surprise why Americans are getting fatter and sicker each year when dextrose, aka sugar, is added to salt?

I'd like to know how this was approved by governmental standards.

This was a store brand, which I won't embarrass on the Net (at this time). And I bought it because "This salt supplies iodide, a necessary nutrient," which is clearly printed on its label. But given what else is detailed on its label, I'm wondering if we can trust anything this manufacturer and its distributor says.

I wasted good money buying a cheap brand of iodized salt, which is now relegated to my trash can. I would suspect that salt without the added sugar would have been even cheaper, so I have no clue what was going on here. Sugary salt should never have been offered for public consumption to begin with. Shame on everyone involved in this fiasco.

Rant over.

For the moment.



"If your vocation isn’t a vacation, then quit, leap, change careers."

Denise Barker, Author, Blogger, Copy Editor
Books that Build Character(s)



What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you. Ralph Waldo Emerson
When you give someone a book, you don’t give him just paper, ink, and glue.  You give him the possibility of a whole new life. Christopher Morley
The best inheritance you can leave your kids is an example of how to live a full and meaningful life. Dan Zadra





No comments:

Post a Comment