Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Servings from 10.55# of Ham Recalculated

I sliced up my 10.55# of ham into eight basically even portions of about 1/2" thick slabs, thinking I'd get approximately two servings from each bag (considering there is more fat and gristle to cut off). But I got more than two servings per bag. Here's what I used the first two bags to create:
5 Cuban Sandwiches (on a rye bread loaf larger than a sandwich loaf, keep in mind)
4 servings of ham, white bean and spinach soup (two servings left, to help with my cold)
2 servings of breakfast ham
More fat (rendered this morning to brown the ham and to cook the eggs)

Plus I simmered the ham bone for about five hours and got six cups of ham broth (mostly gelatin with a layer of fat atop). I already used one cup in the soup mentioned above and will use the rest when making casseroles (instead of canned soups, when called for) or to make a "sausage" gravy to pour over biscuits or to boil pasta in for added flavor.

So I got eleven servings of the ham from two bags (calculated as $1.18 per bag) for a real-life value of $0.22 per serving, with about 5.5 servings per bag.

Even better than I thought!

Now I'm off to work on my Nonfiction #2 Project, which I didn't get to at all yesterday, much less finish and upload, as I slept off whatever malady was attacking me.

Have a good one, y'all.

"If your vocation isn’t a vacation, then quit, leap, change careers."

Denise Barker, Author, Blogger, Copy Editor
Books that Build Character(s)



What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you. Ralph Waldo Emerson
When you give someone a book, you don’t give him just paper, ink, and glue.  You give him the possibility of a whole new life. Christopher Morley
The best inheritance you can leave your kids is an example of how to live a full and meaningful life. Dan Zadra

No comments:

Post a Comment