Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Sunday, January 26, 2020

Saving Our Planet: Baby Steps Count

After watching a Farmacy broadcast by Dr. Mark Hyman on YouTube, where he speaks of a rancher who gained like twenty-nine inches of topsoil through regenerative farming practices, I breathed a sigh of relief.

We might be able to save our planet.

Granted, we hear of food waste all the time. But we need to recast that phrase into a planet-saving light. Sure. I don't eat all the food I buy. However, I'm doing three things to address that problem.
  • First, I'm really trying to limit my buying to what I will actually eat that week that cannot be frozen for later. I'm a Deep South gal who loves her food, who enjoys cooking, and so the grocery store is a huge lure for me. BTW, frozen kale in my Zuppa Toscana is nowhere near as great as using the fresh kale in my soup. Duly noted.
  • Second, I'm adding green drinks to my menu, using up not-so-pretty food but still safely edible. So, if you had planned for a great big salad, got distracted for a couple days, instead plan on drinking your veggies.
  • Third, I'm adding that otherwise spoiled food to a backyard compost pile, not to my garbage bag.

Small steps. Big differences.

See my friend Nicci's related post at https://niccicarrera.com/2020/01/22/five-tips-for-waste-reduction/ wherein she has this great motto (which I am now adopting as well):
My motto is a quote that was shared in one of my social media streams:
We don’t need a few people doing waste reduction perfectly; we need a million people doing waste reduction imperfectly.
Amen.

And a great big shout-out to Greta for all her hard work involved in getting the word out in the global arena.

God bless us all.


Welcome to My World, Where Every Day Is a Saturday

Denise Barker, Author, Blogger, Copy Editor
Books that Build Character(s)

https://deniseannbarker.com


2 comments:

  1. Great reminders and sources, Denise.
    Thanks so much for adding a little hope to the day!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete