Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

NaNoWriMo Tip: Focus

I usually come up with my titles fairly quickly, easily. Long before I have enough plot points to entail a novel-length tale. And I have a very clear picture in my mind what my cover will be. For four of my WIPs, I printed out a scene (I prefer landscapes to people), affixed my title and hung them near my desktop computer. Having your tagline taped to your screen can help too.

It is all about focus.

So, for your 2012 NaNo project, imagine what your perfect cover would look like. Search for it online or in magazines or sketch it out yourself or whatever. This does not have to be the one you actually use, just a prop to remind you of your story.

Then create your tagline, that one thought that sums up what you want to accomplish this time. Make it twenty-five words or less. Remember, you don't need your characters names here. Just an adjective and a noun. Like "burned spy" or "rogue agent" or "unemployed waitress" or "Italian businessman." You get the idea.

Then sum up the major conflict without giving anything away. Write it on a sticky note or an index card.

Now place those two things where you are mostly likely to see them on a daily basis.


Denise Barker, author + blogger + copy editor

No comments:

Post a Comment