Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Friday, October 19, 2012

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak

I've been craving Pepper Steak and prepared it yesterday in my slow cooker. After being sick for the past week, it tasted so good to me.

And it is perfect for NaNoWriMo. Plus it is one of my all-time favorite recipes. So I'll share it here.

2 lbs. beef round steak (1/2" thick) [although yesterday I used just 1 lb. and it worked for me]
   Cut in strips. Then mix together:
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
    And dredge steak strips in the flour mixture. First add the chopped veggies to the bottom of your slow cooker:
1 med. onion, chopped
1 small clove garlic, minced (or use 1 tsp. of the already minced garlic in a jar)
1 large bell pepper (use whatever color you prefer), chopped in large chunks
    Top them with your steak strips. Then mix together (in the tomato can, like I did):
16 oz. whole tomatoes [but all I had was 20 oz. of chopped tomatoes and I used it, liquid and all]
1 T. beef flavor base (or 3 cubes)
1 T. soy sauce [good time to use up three of those individual serving packets your local Chinese food place gives with each to-go order]
2 tsps. Worchestershire sauce
    Add this as the final ingredient to your cooker. Set on low for 8-10 hours. One hour before eating add:
1 more large bell pepper (use whatever color you prefer), chopped in large chunks
    And let cook on high for one more hour. Then prepare:
Fluffy rice [I prefer Jasmine; cook per instructions on packaging]
    Top your cooked rice with your Pepper Steak. YUM!

I happen to think letting it cook on low for those 8-10 hours makes the meat more tender and allows the flavors to meld together better (like homemade spaghetti sauce on the second day) than if you cook it on high for shorter periods. Just my personal preference.

Enjoy.

P.S. This is one of my recipes from my Southern cookbook collection, coming soon in ebook format.

Denise Barker, author + blogger + copy editor

1 comment: