Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Neil Gaiman Commencement Speech

Courtesy of Tim Ferriss, here is Neil Gaiman's wonderful commencement speech to the University of The Arts Class of 2012.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2012/05/22/neil-gaiman-commencement-speech/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+timferriss+%28The+Blog+of+Author+Tim+Ferriss%29

Gaiman has a wonderful sense of humor and a special wisdom.  Plus I totally embrace his adage to make your own rules (see my previous post entitled "There Are No Rules to Creating Fiction").  So many well-written statements in this one twenty-minute spot that I need to view it again.

And one last thing.  He said the best advice he'd ever gotten (from Stephen King, no less, and about twenty years ago) was simply to enjoy his writing process.  Yet, he wasn't doing that.  I've been trying to do that myself, so I'm in good company. 

Enjoy.

Denise Barker, Author + Freelance Copy Editor
Good Ole Boys, a love story
A Copyediting Checklist for Novelists

No comments:

Post a Comment