Quote of the Day

more Quotes

Monday, March 25, 2013

Dr. Hyman on PBS Years Ago

Yesterday I found this video I don't remember watching before: Dr. Hyman on PBS. I have no idea what date this show on UltraMetabolism was aired, but since I haven't had cable for eight years, it has been a while.

I watched it yesterday and he espoused many of his tenets as found in his The Blood Sugar Solution of today.

However, he said one thing that really stuck with me. Here it is paraphrased: Americans eat 185 pounds of sugar a year. Which was probably more accurate a decade ago and has now risen exponentially.

So I wondered how many tablespoons that was. Something I could relate to visually. If one pound (16 ounces) = 32 Tablespoons, then 185 pounds is 18,532 Ts/year divided by 365 days = 50.77 TABLESPOONS a day or 152.31 TEASPOONS a day.

Wow!

It kind of put my sugar addiction in a new light. Dr. Hyman calls sugar a toxin. I agree. While our bodies may have arsenic, mercury and other toxic materials residing within, they are hopefully at such minute levels that they do us no harm.

It's the amount of the potentially toxic substance that matters.

Still, knowing that I may have been eating 50 Ts (or more) of sugar a day and now I am trying to go without any (none, zilch, nada, zero, nil) during each twenty-four-hour period makes me feel better about my struggle to conquer this beast.

Like I said in one of my previous posts, sugar is my last frontier.

I'm making headway. Which should give hope to others. And I find if I focus on getting through the first three full days without sugar or whatever, then the going gets easier.

I'm keeping that in mind. Plus staying busy.

Luckily, Dr. Hyman's plan allows for fruit (berries) daily. That helps.

Along with knowing that my body is rebuilding itself, stronger, healthier, more disease-resistant.

Hang in there, everyone.

Denise Barker, author + blogger + copy editor

No comments:

Post a Comment